Is a gas leak an emergency?
Yes, a gas leak is an emergency! If you are have even the slightest thought that you may have a gas leak in your home, read the following (but please call a professional ASAP!).
If you are in Sydney, give us a call immediately on 0407 837 729 and we can arrange to attend your property as a matter of urgency, no matter the time of day or night.
What should I do if there is a gas leak in my home?
If you believe that there is a gas leak in your home, you should (if you can safely) :
- Turn off all your appliances and pilot lights
- Turn off the gas supply to your home at the meter
- Open all your windows and doors, to allow some ventilation through your house
- Call a gas fitter or gas plumber immediately. They will be able to locate the leak, repair, relight any appliances and assist with turning your gas supply back on.
The things you should not do include :
- Fix the gas leak yourself!
- Try and find the gas leak with a match or open flame
- Use electrical equipment anywhere near a suspected gas leak
- Do anything that could cause a spark, such as turning on/off lights, using a telephone or using a flashlight
- Use a lighter or matches anywhere near a suspected gas leak
For more information regarding what to do when you have a gas leak in your home, check out our gas leak information page.
NEED A QUALIFIED GAS FITTER?
Get professional help, book a great Sydney gas fitter here
What do I do if there is a gas leak outside my home?
Give Australia Gas Networks a call on 1800 GAS LEAK (1800 427 532) and they will be able assist. This includes any gas that you smell in your street, outside your home (but on your property) and around your gas meter. They can not help however if the cause of the leak is an appliance or something similar inside your home.
What does a gas leak smell like?
Leaking gas smells like rotten eggs, rotten cabbage, or sulphur. It isn't a pleasant smell!
Your licensed gas fitters in Sydney
If you have a gas leak in Sydney, give us a call immediately on 0407 837 729 and we can arrange to attend your property as a matter of urgency, no matter the time of day or night.
If you have a non-urgent gas enquiry, or would like a qualified gas fitter to attend your home or office to check your gas appliances and connections, give us a call on 0407 837 729 or complete an online job booking now. We can help you with all your gas plumbing needs, so get in contact today.
NSW Government - Fair Trading (Gas Safety): https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/buying-products-and-services/product-and-service-safety/gas-safety
NSW Government - Fair Trading (Gas Compliance Requirements): https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/trades-and-businesses/construction-and-trade-essentials/gasfitters/gas-compliance-requirements
Australian Gas Networks (Gas Outages, Leaks and Emergencies): https://www.australiangasnetworks.com.au/gas-explained/about-natural-gas/gas-leaks-and-emergencies